Thursday, December 3, 2009

Influences

Lubovitch Dance Company
Dancing with Lubovitch for eight years, Varone’s modern dance artist was formed. Lubovitch, originally had a background in painting and saw Jose Limon perform when he decided to drop painting and become a dancer. Lubovitch ended up going to Julliard for dance on a full scholarship and there he used the process of making movements and shapes, then putting them on different dancers and seeing what happens. In Lubovtich's company, he would start to relate those movements to music. Lubovitch's work requires much skill and technicality, but it is not all about the physical all the time, he uses a theoretical approach as well. This is how Varone was inspired for eight years before starting his own company in 1986.
Varone like his mentor, started out with a different idea of what he wanted to do in life, but through specific people and situations, dove into the world of modern dance. Varone is always trying to solve problems in his choreography, and show the expansiveness of dance.

3 comments:

  1. I love how he focuses on not only romantic but everyday relationships. This is more relatable to me because romantic relationships are not always the same. I also like how he differs the kind of dancing he does, whether it is modern, Broadway or operas. This really shows his versatility and training in a way that other modern artists do not. I was impacted by the statement that he "is always trying to solve problems in his choreography, and show the expansiveness of dance". This really shows the intelligence behind his work and choreography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most performances I see are primarily telling a story. I like the fact that he didnt go down that road. He actually likes to solve problems in his choreography which is very challenging, especially for a former painter. I believe the best choreographers are the people who randomly end up in modern dance because it leaves extra room for them to think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probelm solving is such a compelling way to approach making dances, or teaching, or writing, or grading!!!!!

    ReplyDelete